Sunday, January 16, 2011

Chapter Books We Read Aloud And My Kids Enjoyed

(by Mom, with help from Grace, age 11, and Emily, age 8)
"Please, just one more chapter!" Those words never fail to bring a smile to my face. I always have fun hiding the book so no one reads ahead. Here are some chapter books that I've loved reading to my children over the years.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Roald Dahl is a master of wacky plots and lovable characters. My 11-year-old, 8-year-old and 5-year-old were all begging for more.

Emily (8): Great book!









The Wheel on the School

This book doesn't look like it's going to have a riveting plot, so it sat on our shelf for a while. Boy, was I wrong. It's a fascinating story about the Dutch village of Shora coming together to bring back the storks. All of my children loved it, and just recently, one asked if we could read it again.

Emily (8): It was me!








The Whipping Boy

This prompted some great discussion in our family. If you want a great plot and some good talks about discipline, unlikely friendships and unexpected heroes, this is your book.

Grace (11): This was really one of my favorite books Mom read out to me.








The Winged Watchman

A real page-turner set in occupied Holland in World War II. I couldn't help myself. I read ahead. (Sorry, kids!)

Grace (11): Don't worry, Mom, we knew you were reading ahead and we forgive you! I remember this book well: the helplessness, the determination, the risks that people took to get their independence back!








The Little Riders

Another book set in Nazi-occupied Holland. It prompted thoughtful discussion on loving our enemies and real courage.

Note from Emily (8): I loved it because it shows courage, kindness, and love.





No comments:

Post a Comment

If you or your family have other opinions about the items listed, please share!