Sunday, January 16, 2011

Kid Approved Picture Books that Build Character (According to Mom)

(by Mom, with help from Tabitha, age 5, and Emily, age 8)
I treasure books that have interesting plots, fun characters, vivid illustrations, AND wonderful morals. Here are some of the picture books that I and my children have learned sweet lessons from.

The Ant and the Elephant

This book has fantastic African animal characters, a story that keeps moving, and insights about helping, thankfulness, and pride. It's one of my all-time favorites.

Tabitha (5): I like the elephant!








Horton Hatches the Egg


Dr. Seuss at his best! Horton is faithful and does what he says he will do, despite all the troubles and adventures that come his way. A good lesson from a great story!

Emily (8): That good-for-nothing stupid old bird! It would have been better for everyone if she had just stayed on her egg. She's lazy.







The Berenstain Bears and the Truth

There are a lot of books out there that talk about honesty, but this is one of my favorites. Brother and Sister Bear learn the importance of trust in family relationships.

Tabitha (5): I hate the part where they lie!

Emily (8): I like it because they learn not to lie in the end.








The Lorax

Another Seuss Classic! This one links the problem of greed to the consequences of not caring for our planet. It's a lesson that's easy to swallow because of Seuss's unbeatable creativity.

Tabitha (5): I'm clapping. That means I like it.








Polite as a Princess

I confess: I usually cringe when my children beg for princess stories. This one is an exception, though. Each princess illustrates very appropriate good manners to your princess-loving child--everything from writing thank you notes to cleaning up a mess.

Tabitha (5): I like Polite as a Princess because it has good manners!







If you're like me and find it challenging to build character in kids, I'm sure you'll appreciate the help of these books as much as I do.





1 comment:

  1. Tabitha,
    I am excited to hear about The Ant and the Elephant and the Polite as a Princess book. I hope you will read them to me sometime. Ambuya

    ReplyDelete

If you or your family have other opinions about the items listed, please share!